A lot of DIY costume making followed…mostly by David’s mum who’s fantastic on the sewing machine. David created The Giant Toothbrush, and Katy’s contribution was mostly of a supervisory nature coupled with a few clicks on Amazon in search of “giant tooth fairy wings”.
The big day dawned and we were slightly worried on our walk to Newcastle Town Moor. We watched several athletes jog past us as they lightly warmed up on their way to the start line. David felt plenty warm in his costume made of pillows and bed sheets while Katy tried to work out how to stay aerodynamic and reduce the drag on her wings!
However, once we reached our designated pens the atmosphere was infectious. Admittedly we did not run the entire distance but on the 2 hour 54 minute journey to South Shields we:
- High five’d a LOT of children;
- Participated in numerous “OGGIE OGGIES”;
- Were mistaken for Angels on several occasions (even David);
- Collected extra donations in our bucket (though this did get very heavy);
- Educated anyone who would listen the importance of brushing their teeth (while stuffing our faces);
- Delighted in the culinary snacks offered by the friendly locals which included sausage rolls!
- Were interviewed by ITV news!
All in all it was a fantastic day, made even better knowing that with your support we have smashed our target of £1,500 and donations are still coming in. (The days that followed however, were horrendous and we were both in a world of pain!!)
A massive Thank You to everyone who has sponsored us. You are an extremely generous lot and have supported a great cause. Dentaid are now assessing potential projects to send our Dentaid box to and will give us an update once it is ready to go.
David and Katy
To find out more about Dentaid and the great work they do, visit their webpage www.dentaid.org
If you would like to make a donation please visit our fundraising page mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/kingsgatedental